Thursday, February 14, 2008

Remember what the dormouse said

A first Indian(AFI): Would you like your food ?
Some second Indian(SSI) : No Maa.
AFI : It's hot right now. And I just made the 'roti'. What use is it eating later? Ive got you your plate. See. Just the way you like it. Eat now no.
SSI: Don,t force
AFI: 'Arre',later it will get cold. Its not healthy
SSI: In other countries they have specifically cold meals. In fact, come to think of it, i prefer my meals cold.
AFI: Ya Ya. I have also heard of ice cream. But this is not ice cream no? Also, all that ice cream they eat, they are continuously getting cold from the heart. See all these divorces they have. All because their hearts are getting cold.
SSI: Look. I promise you i will eat my food okay ! Just..not now.
AFI : What are you upset about?
SSI : When did i say i am upset?
AFI : It's 'Her" isn't it?
SSI: She has a name Ma. Why can't you say "Ind..."
AFI : Did she leave you again? Why do you still care? That's why i say all this love affair business only good in movies.
SSI : She will come back. I Believe in her. I have spent my life with her. She is part of me. She will come back
AFI : All this ! It has gone to her head. No one is coming back Beta. She has forgotten. Old Struggles are forgotten in times of plenty.In my time it was different. Commitments we made. Now all this modern thinking..
SSI: No Ma. I wanted her to change. To evolve. That is good. For me it is fine. I have been brought up differently. I can live on unadulterated unwavering belief. But she is a golden bird. She must fly. She must change. She is a child of chance. It is why we fell in love..
AFI: I warned you. The first time she left you. And I saw everything. The squabbles, the partings that broke your heart. It was a fractured love then. She stabbed you in the heart. Killed you. Over and Over she killed you. "Hai!"
SSI: Arre! I am here am i not? There is no need to be so dramatic. Anyway, it does not concern you.
AFI: Oh that i had to live to see this day. My own son! You are not mine? Is she not mine? We are her past you and me. How can you exclude me like this? So what if it was your great love affair? Did i not care? Do i not care now? I love her too. But she betrays you. She betrays us. She forgets her ideals. Her vows. (Starts to cry..)
SSI: (Smiles) You always had a flair for the dramatic Ma! You know..when we feel in love she was like that too. An actress. That was what she was.
AFI: Maybe.. Maybe she is acting now.
SSI: But where is her actor mother? Where is her hero? Without a hero she will fall. Her virtues will be twisted, her beauty molested. Still, i have hope...
AFI : (absentmindedly)Your food is getting cold.
SSI: Yes...

The TV screen flickers of its own accord. Bad for my eyes. I must change the channel. "click". Oh! Its a news channel. I am fixated by the anchor. Perfectly shaped breasts that know today's stock prices, Luscious lips that whisper sweet nothings about riots and the occasional murder, Seductive eyes that draw me into the vagrant follies of the Indian cricket team...I turn the volume up.

"....Rajghat today. On the heels of the Godhra incident, a guard patrolling Bapuji's samadhi claims to have heard voices emanating from the monument. Our sources say that he heard two distinct voices male and female. Researchers of the paranormal have gathered in Rajghat and claim high levels of disturbance..can it be Bapuji talking to us from beyond the grave..opposition leaders...condemn...hoax..hindutva raj..

Im zoning out now. Fuck Gandhi, fuck rajghat, fuck godhra and id really like to fuck this news anchor...I drift off to sleep.

Jai Hind!


Powered by ScribeFire.

3 comments:

Yohan said...

Very interesting indeed!

So. You talk to your mum like this??

Or is this what happens in hindi soaps?

vivek said...

the mom's suppos'd to be putlibai...apparently she was deeply religous..can you imagine that? what a demeaning name..putli bai????

Unknown said...

You erase your comments? Got something to hide? Weirdo.

and no, noone is going to buy blog posts.